Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Magic of George Winston

Every once in awhile the weather forecasters actually get it right. The snow was forecast to be heaviest at about 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon, and it actually was. We went out for dinner last night to celebrate Taylor's birthday and drove past a couple of restaurants which were closed due to the heavy snow build-up. The roads were a bit tricky due to all the snow that had piled up very quickly.

This is what our front porch looked like this morning. I had to sweep the snow out of the carport - it had blown all the way up against the carport door's sill.

The pile to the right of the car has grown to as high as 5 feet during some winters when there are enough snow storms. There hasn't been much this winter, but it may get big enough for sledding once I get through shoveling.

This is the view up the street, looking toward Mount Elden, which can barely be seen through the snow. We've had one plow go down the street - just enough plowing to create a pile to deal with when attempting to get in/out of the driveway.

When I first discovered the music of pianist George Winston, we were at the Mt. Elden Christian Conference Center. I'd put George on the stereo and watch the snow come down in that small rural oasis within the city. It was a pretty magical experience and I repeated it every snow storm for awhile. Ever since then, the joke in our family when I play George is that "it's gonna snow!".

After taking the photo of our street, I came inside and turned on the stereo. The first disc in the player was "December" by George Winston. I looked out the window and noticed that the snow suddenly changed to larger, more frequent, flakes. If I had been out on the street I would not have been able to glimpse the mountain anymore. Thanks, George!

No comments:

Post a Comment